Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart a Little

 Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish.

For some sick reason, my heart craves tragedy. This is a list of just some of the books that have broken my heart and made me cry:

1. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. An unconventional story of friendship and love, life and death. Will once lived the good life until an accident left him a quadriplegic, planning his own death via assisted suicide. That's when Louisa -- eccentric, vibrant, and lively -- comes into Will's life to try to convince him to choose life. I bawled for the last 50 pages of this book, prompting my husband to look up from his video game and say, "Why do you do this to yourself?


2.  We the Living by Ayn Rand. A girl alone against the world. What could break your heart more than that?


3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. A little girl alone against the world. What can be sadder than that?


4. What is the What by Dave Eggers. The story of one of the "lost boys" of Sudan. He survived warfare and death, crossed the ocean to find a future in America, only to lose the girl he loved: 
If ever I love again, I will not wait to love as best I can. We thought we were young and that there would be time to love well sometime in the future. This is a terrible thing to think. It is no way to live, to wait for love.

5. Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson. A woman taken away from her sons and her husband against her will. Could it get more heartbreaking? Oh wait, yes it can, because not only is she crazy in love with her husband, he is a wild and fierce Comanche warrior. Yeah: WILD. FIERCE. COMANCHE. WARRIOR. And it's based on a true-life story. About real wild and fierce Comanche warriors.  


6. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Saying good-bye to a WILD and FIERCE SCOTTISH WARRIOR in a KILT is always sad. When he is your husband and you are saying good-bye to him for the last time before you return to the future from whence you came is HEARTBREAKING. And yes, the key words here are: FIERCE. WARRIOR. (in a) KILT. And no, this one is not based on a true story. 


7. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. Hemingway's first wife loses him to another woman. Heartbreaking. So far,there hasn't been a book written about his second wife losing him to another woman. Or a book about his third wife losing him to another woman. Maybe those are in the works.


8. The Bronze Horseman trilogy by Paullina Simons. Alexander feels sure that he has just said his final good-bye to his wife and is wishing for her a life of safety and happiness. He won't be there beside her, so he prays these things for her instead, using the words of the 91st Psalm. Wow:
She turned to Alexander one last time, and in Tatiana’s eyes he saw her love, and then she was out the door and gone. Alexander whispered after her, ‘Tatiana! Thou shall not be afraid of the terror by night… nor for the arrow that flieth by day… nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor the destruction that wasteth at noon day. A thousand shall fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near thee.’

9. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I can't talk about how much you've pained me, Scarlett, with your prideful ways. You could have been with a strong man who loved you all along.


10. Queen by Alex Haley. Jass, the son of a Alabama plantation owner, falls in love with Easter, a slave, and his childhood friend. That's heartbreak waiting to happen.

Excuse me, while I run from the room and bawl into a pile of Puffs. Happy Valentine's Day, to you, too. 

Comments

Lori said…
Oh Jamie Fraser...sigh. There is always something heartbreaking going on in the Outlander series. Thankfully it usually works out okay, but I have shed a few tears with that series.

My Top Ten Tuesday
Tanya Patrice said…
I have to get to the Outlander series - that seems like it's going to really intense.
Yes, The Paris Wife. So terribly sad!


Here's my Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart a Little.

I'd like to invite you to sign up for my February Giveaway! Win All Kinds of Kisses or a $25 Amazon gift card!
Gone With the Wind is such a heartbreaker.
Unknown said…
I have not read a single one of these books, but if Gone with the Wind is as heartbreaking in book form as the movie then wow!:)
SaraO said…
To Nathan's response to book #1: hahahahahahahahahaha

And almost cried at the Bronze Horseman quote...Mike also wonders why books strike me so...
Danielle said…
There are only three books that have made me cry:
1. My Sister's Keeper
2. Redeeming Love
3. A Thousand Splendid Suns
RachelKiwi said…
sara, does this make you any closer to reading TBH, then? i know, our husbands don't know what to do with us. just love us in our craziness.

danielle, i almost added redeeming love! i cried in that too. but alas, i bumped it off the list at the last second.
Ange said…
WOW! Many I haven't heard of! Good list! Here's our Top 10
Honestly, the end of Dragonfly in Amber was INSANE. Jamie Fraser is, like, DREAMY and AMAZING and I died when Claire left. So sad.
Great list, and thanks for stopping by today!
AwSmile said…
Ahhhh, The Paris Wife. In the same month, I read The Paris Wife, Cutting for Stone, and Loving Frank (woman against society, mores, and ax-wielding lunatic, completely true.) It was an emotional month! Of the three, Cutting for Stone has made my all-time top-ten list and broke my heart over an over.
RachelKiwi said…
awsmile, that must have been a tough month! is cutting for stone the one you loaned my mom? i'll have to look that one up..

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Authors I'd Invite to Thanksgiving

11/22/63: Part One